Thursday, June 19, 2008

After Harare Central

19 June 2008
I went into the Central Police Station this morning. Mr. Mudiwa Mundawarara, the area chairperson for Nazareth House accompanied me. Everyone had advised me to go with someone, and Mudiwa had voluntered to come with me as soon as he got my message. We got to the Suburban Section and found Chief Superintendent Marange's office. Sgt Mutero, who I know from Mabvuku, (his cousins Luke and Alphonce joined the Redemptorists and left) welcomed us into a waiting area. We had to wait for about 15 mins before the Chief Supt could see us. We waited in silence. The morning activity in the waiting office did not seem to distract us from our pensive waiting. Finally we were led into the Chief Supt's office. He welcomed us very warmly and talked to us nicely, in between answering the phone and his cell phone. He did not seem to mind my coming in with Mudiwa. We had thought that he might object to that mistaking Mudiwa for a lawyer. He told us that he had recieved my complaint and asked me to elaborate. I told him that I had recieved death threats that had propmted me to make a report to the local police station. I told him about how in the past month I have been the subject of discussion at party meetings because I prevented the people from attending these meetings while I said mass with them. I told him also of the interest shown in our social projects by those who would have wanted to use their popularity in their campaigns. He listened very intently. He assured us that he was going to ensure that the church and its priests are not molested. He promised to get the local police chief to have a meeting with political leadership in Hatcliffe and tell them to desist from harrassing the people. He told us that we could contact him or come to him at any time if we needed help. He reiterated that the Church should not be prevented from doing its work.

I was tremendously relieved by the Chief Supt's warmth. My relief came mainly from knowing that what I had feared most was not the case. I was not going to be locked up or beaten by the police. However, I found the Chief Supt rather too nice. There was a real disconnect between this affable man and the reality that we are living with. If the ploice were as caring and concerned like this, then how come so many people are being harrassed without redress and justice, let alone protection? Whatever is the truth, there is a clear line between the well intentioned police and the militias that seem to be a law unto themselves and above the police. I was relieved to know that I was going to walk away from the police station a free man and unmolested, but I know deep down that the real danger of the marauding mobs can only be underestimated at one's own peril.

We left the police station and headed to Mudiwa's office in the CBD of Harare for a cup of tea and to debrief. Over tea we shared our immediate sense of relief and our continued fears of what might yet happen. We shared a prayer and I headed away. I stopped by the bookshop to see Br Tendai who, like many friends, had been waiting anxiously for the outcome of my early morning visit to Harare Central. I also made phone calls to Richard Reid and Tryvis letting them know I was alright and safe. I sent sms to most of the people who were waiting anxioulsy to hear about me. On my way home I stopped at Borrowdale Police Station to see the Officer in Charge. I told him about my visit with his superiors. He gave me a form to fill so that our house can be put under police monitoring and protection. It helped to know that at least the police are on alert should anything happen. My big worry right now is a night raid on the house. At St Anthony's Mission is Zaka the priest's house was burnt down and fortunately the priests were all not at the mission during the attack. The priest in Tanda, Fr Maringe, was attacked together with two seminarians. There were severly beated. The Dominican Sisters have evacuated their sisters and closed the house at Gokomere this mornig following threats of unspecified acts of violnce. At the meeting for Diocesan Priests from all over the country held at Chishawasha this week every priest spoke of the threats and intimidation that they are living with.

I went to have lunch with Richard and Wenceslaus at Lollie's. On my way, past Chisipite, I saw about 100 youths clad in Zanu PF campaign regalia marching along the Enterprise Road. I had seen groups of about ten all the way along Harare Drive from the Rolf/Gaydon intersection. They were carrying posters and placing them on trees, walls and utility poles.

I went to Hatcliffe after lunch to say mass at 2:00pm. There were only about 12 people at Mass today, where we normally have 30 or 40. I talked to the people after mass and there was no need to prompt them into telling the woes of the times. They were all talking about the horrible murder of Mrs Chiroto, the ubducted MDC councillor's wife. What was causing the people much pain is that they have not been allowed to gather at the Chiroto house to mourn her. People are greatly shocked by the calousness of the crime.

I drove to the market place in front of the shopping center in Hatcliffe. I bought a bundle of fire wood for $1Billion and put it into the boot of my car. Then I parked the car and mingeld with a group of truck drivers who were waiting to be hired. Most of then are Catholics. They told me that business was slow, almost non existent. There were afraid of being hired out to ferry people who want to move out of the township. Actually no one is being allowed to leave, even though many people would like to go where they may feel safe. Again without being prompted they began to express their sheer disgust and shock at the murder and mutilation of Mrs Chiroto. There were totally dombfounded by the fact that mourners have been told not to gather at her house. One of the men is a neighbour of the Chirotos. He spoke very well of Mrs Chiroto as a very quiet and respectable woman. She was only 25yrs old and the second wife of Mr Chiroto. His first wife died a few years ago.

There is a Zanu PF man who hangs out with these men, who have obvious MDC sympathies. He manages the Flee-Mkt at the shopping center. He too was shocked by what happened to the Chirotos. He told how Mr Chiroto had approached him wanting a market table to sell some wares. He had told Chiroto that it would be difficult for him to be accepted in the Zanu PF controlled market. Instead he had suggested to Choroto that his wife could take up a stall in her own name. Mrs Chiroto had come to him and he gave her a market stall. She had operated it with no problems, even though her husband is MDC. I was really touched by the sincerity of members of the warring parties at this level. It goes to prove that violence is not being carried out on local people by local people. Hired hands are at work. The militia is made up of outsiders who do not have the sympathies and sensitivities that local people have for each other across the party lines. Left to themselves local people have much respect for each other, albeit their political differences.

No comments: